We believe that the best way for someone to get excited about our games is to play them. And, opportunities for play don’t come much larger than the Origins Game Fair in Columbus Ohio! This year’s convention is from June 24-28, and we’ve got both traditional favorites and some new surprises lined up!
- We kick off on Wednesday with a free event designed to showcase our newest games, and especially Steam! Join us in the Mayfair Room from 2 pm until 6 pm for the Mayfair New Game Showcase to play a game or two, chat with Mayfair folks, and even a surprise or two.
- The Mayfair Ribbon Quest is back, but with a twist! Once you earned the usual five resource ribbons and become a Knight of Catan, you’ll be invited to take the next step to become a Defender of Catan! Earn three commodity ribbons by playing specific titles, and qualify for a special item! The Knight of Catan will provide you with the usual benefits like a raffle ticket, a coupon for Mayfair Games, and a choice of prizes!
- Mayfair is again sponsoring the Children’s Room at Origins. We’re always pleased to help with the efforts to show children how much fun-and how different-games can be!
- The Mayfair Room is back and bigger than ever, with more than 300 events scheduled 8am to Midnight. These events give players a chance to find other players for all of our titles, and to try your skills against different players. We’re located in Concourse E, at the north end of the convention center.
- Mayfair is once again participating in the Origins Hall Pass program, a special programming track for educators. Our annual look at our games and ways that they are being used in school and youth settings will be Friday at 1 pm, and a seminar on games that use non-fictional maps and books across the entire gaming industry will be Saturday at 1 pm.
- The Mayfair U series of seminars are back, with the chance to learn about our games, and a sneak peek into how they’re made and produced. Last year, participants learned about subjects as diverse as wargame development, auction strategies and what Australian miners want in Australia Rails. They’re a chance to talk with designers and industry folks about how they work and what they make!
- The Settlers of Catan North American Championship Qualifier tournament will be held over the four days of the show. Qualifying rounds will be run on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with the top-rated players moving on to the Sunday semifinal and final rounds. The winner is rewarded with transportation, lodging and a ticket into the North American Championship at Gen Con, providing that lucky person a chance to win a trip to represent the U.S. at the Catan World Championship in Germany in 2010! Award winners must be at least 18 years of age and a citizen of the U.S., Canada, or Mexico.
That’s an overview of how we’ll be keeping busy at Origins. Visit us in booth 601, try out a game or two, and say hello! And saunter down to E-pod 170-172 and play in a scheduled event or perhaps a pickup game. See you there!